Time get back to the, Roots.
I am so excited to share this recipe. Not only is an all time favourite Rwandan Dish, but also is the first recipe post of 2016. Excited much, I think so!!!
Igihembe, is a Rwandese dish often served with some carbs such as rice or ubugari (starch-based staple food). Beans is one of the common consumed foods in Rwanda, therefore it only makes sense to get a little inventive with the good old , Red Kidney Bean.
Be warned, this recipe is time consuming.
But is sooo000 worth it.
It consists of pre-soaking beans, followed by individually peeling each Red Kidney Bean.
With that been said, is it worth the hassle?
If I had the time I would make this everyday, but since it is time consuming this dish tends to be kept for special occasions in Rwandese households.
Please do share your experience, down below.
2 Cups Red Kidney Beans (250g)
2 tbsp Palm Oil
½ tsp. Coconut oil
Water for Cooking
Add 200ml towards end of cooking process
Mixing Bowl | Pot | Frying pan (Skillet) | Wooden Spoon | Tablespoon | Spoon | Serving Dish
- First add dried Red Kidney Beans, to your bowl and fill with plenty of water. Pre-soak for a minimum of 12 hours – 24 hours, the longer easier the next process will be. Once pre-soaked, you will commence to peel the individual Red Kidney Beans.
- Once all Kidney Beans have been peeled, set the Red Kidney Beans aside. Proceed to boil the Beans with plenty of water for approximately 45 to 60 minutes. Bring to boil on medium to high heat and simmer with an inch of water above the beans. A general guide, 3 cups of Water to 2 cps of Beans.
- Gently simmer Beans, once boiled by reducing the heat to a low simmer. For firmer beans remove the lid for the first 20 minutes, then place lid slightly jarred unto pot for the remaining time.
- Once the Beans are done, drain any remaining water and place aside. Chop the onion into fine lengthy pieces. In a frying pan add your Palm Oil & Coconut oil together on medium heat, season the oil with a little with Salt & Turmeric.
- Add the onions to the frying pan and sizzling for 20 seconds then, add the peeled Kidney Beans. Turn down to low medium heat and season with Cumin, Soy Sauce, Turmeric (you may wish to add other fresh seasonings like Parsley, Garlic Chives etc).
- After 7- 10 minutes take off heat.
Serve & Enjoy.