Bring summer to your taste palate with this sweet flavourful Black Kale Salad.
Packed with all beneficial nutrients needed in these winter months. Providing you with top defence against winter sickness, high in vitamin C and strengthen immune function. Vitamin A, C, K plus manganese calcium and iron.
Kaki, ever since I was first introduced to this awesome fruit. The pronunciation may have no relevance in the English language but definitely has its place in the German language. So when I was first introduced to this fruit I was fascinated by its name as I thought it was comical to name a food after human waste.
But hey, I was no older than the age of 4/5 , so you can imagine the blast I had with this new found concept. Therefore whenever I saw this fruit Kaki (persimmons), it brings back joyful memories of childhood.
To me, the fruit was always known as Kaki until recently I saw it’s other name displayed in a supermarket Persimmon.
Persimmon does not really have that feel to it, so Kaki it will remain in my vocabulary.
I hope you enjoy this as much as I.
Definitely shines a different perspective on the cruciferous veggie, (Kale). Ordinary Kale may also be used but honestly I don’t think it would work as well, as the Cavolo Nero is deep, intense and rich in flavour. The depth of the black kale is what allows it to be balanced with the sweetness of the persimmon, as they both compliment each other.
Enjoy the deep intense rich flavour of the Cavolo Nero with the touch of sweetness of the Kaki (persimmon) and dressing.
This recipe was inspired by Kelis Kale Salad Recipe featured in the Cosmopolitans October 2015 Issue.
Serves : 2 as a side or 1 as a main dish.
3 Large Cavolo Nero Leafs (Black Kale)
1 Large Carrot
1 Spring Onion Stalk
1 (Kaki) Persimmon
2 bulbs of Garlic
pinch of Rosemary
1 tbsp. Water
1 tbsp. Apple Cider Vinegar
½ tsp. Blackstrap Molasses
1 tsp. Hemp Seed Oil (sub: any other oil)
Salt and Pepper to taste.
Desired Nuts/ Seeds & Dried Fruits.
Found that Raisins, Pumpkin Seeds & Walnuts went well, I added the leftovers of my days snack box on top (which included all three plus Goji Berries, Almonds, Brazil Nuts).
Chopping Board | Knife | Measuring Jug (sub: Glass)| |2-3 Small bowls | Serving Bowl | Tablespoon | Teaspoon
Cooking Time: N/A Preparation Time: 10 Minutes
1. Start by washing all your fresh ingredients except the Garlic, (as that would need to be peeled). De-stem all 3 Cavolo Nero Leafs, once de-steamed slice them into smaller box like pieces and place them into your serving bowl.
2.Peel your carrot and using your grater, grate the carrot either directly into the serving bowl or into one of the small bowls. This allows you to sprinkle the carrots according to your preference.
3. Slice the Spring Onion and Rosemary into fine small pieces and set aside.
4. Peel the Garlic and proceed to slice into slices then cutting them again, until you have tiny pieces of Garlic. Allow them to stand for about 7 minutes as this encourages their flavonoids and nutritional properties to enhance.
5. Take the Kaki (Persimmon) peel it, and slice it into small cubes.
6. To prepare the dressing in a measuring Jug, add ½ tsp. Blackstrap Molasses and 1 tbsp. Apple Cider Vinegar try dissolving the Blackstrap a little before adding 1 tsp. Hemp Seed oil and 1 tbsp. Water (you may need to add another 1 tbsp. of Water if the Blackstrap is not dissolving). Mix all well together until the Blackstrap is completely liquefied.
7. In your serving bowl add all your fresh ingredients sprinkle Garlic and Rosemary in last. Pour your dressing over and finally add finishing touches with Nuts, Seeds and Dried Fruits.
A delicious Vegan Recipe.